Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Zanu PF tried to bribe me: Mtetwa


PDF Print E-mail

BY PATIENCE NYANGOVE

AWARD-winning human rights lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa says Zanu PF officials tried to bribe her so that she would stop representing President Robert Mu-gabe’s opponents.
Mtetwa, who was last week announced the winner of the United States’ Case Western Reserve University’s 2011 Inamori Ethics Prize said she had resisted offers of a farm and appointments to boards of parastatals.

But she refused to name the officials who attempted to bribe her.

“I have also been offered perks if I abandon my human rights work,” Mtetwa said.

“In 2001 in particular I was offered various positions, boardships in parastatals, even a farm if I abandoned my human rights work.

“I found it very interesting because the people making those offers were people I had once represented when their own rights had been violated by the very system.”
Mtetwa said she turned down the offers because she was not doing her work for financial benefitbut simply because she believed in what does.

No comments:

Post a Comment