Monday, January 25, 2010

20 stillborn babies rot in morgue

Written by Patience Nyangove
Thursday, 21 January 2010

AT least 20-bodies of stillborn and premature babies who died between June and December 2009 at Okahandja State Hospital have been lying in the mortuary forgotten by the authorities.



The parents were not aware that their babies whose bodies are supposed to be disposed of by the hospital were still in the mortuary months after their deaths.

One of the mothers, Beala Williams-Neels who gave birth to stillborn twins on 7 November 2009 was shocked when a friend asked her if she was failing to give her boys a decent burial. The friend had seen the names of the unburied bodies on the list at the mortuary.

The mortuary charges N$70 a day for storage and Williams-Neels was initially asked to pay but later the mortician, after consulting his superiors, told her not to pay.

“I want to know why I must pay the mortuary fees which the hospital authorities said is N$70 a day? If they had informed me, I would have buried my babies in November last year.

“I only found out on 13 January that the bodies haven’t been cremated and are still being kept in the hospital’s mortuary. The hospital never informed me that I had to bury my babies.

“I was so confused when I heard about it. I even asked the person which kids she was referring to. I then went to the hospital to enquire. I was told that the bodies of my babies were still in the mortuary three months after their death,” she complained.

Although Informanté saw six bodies in one tray, William-Neels said there were more babies ‘rotting’ in the mortuary.

“There are between 16 and 20 rotting foetuses in that mortuary and I don’t think the mothers of those babies just like me know that their babies are rotting,” Williams-Neels who was close to tears told Informanté.

A mortician at the hospital who refused to give his name said the mothers had no idea that their babies’ bodies had not been cremated.

Williams-Neels said hospital authorities should own up and apologise.

“All people at the hospital kept quiet when my kids were lying there rotting. Someone must take a stand against these people,” she said.

Williams-Neels said it was traumatising to see her babies’ bodies when she should have gotten over grieving over them.

“It’s like opening old wounds. I feel sorry for those other mothers who will have to go through this ordeal again,” she said.

A funeral parlour employee who collected Williams-Neels’ babies’ bodies said they collected another baby’s body for burial early this month.

Efforts to get comments from the hospital’s authorities were fruitless with the arrogant matron, Pea Kalipi, refusing to give her name or comment. Informanté was able to get her name although she remained adamant not to comment.

“I cannot give information to you. I could have referred you to my supervisor but she is not around,” Kalipi said.

Minister of Health, Dr Richard Kamwi refused to comment on the issue saying he did not have information.

“I know very little. I am just coming from a holiday. This is news to me. I cannot comment. I have never heard of this from anyone,” Kamwi said referring Informanté to the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Kaijoro Kahuure whose secretary said he was not available.

Deputy Minister of Health, Petrina Haingura, also refused to comment saying she was still on leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment