Friday, November 27, 2009

Girl admitted in mental hospital after rape

Written by Patience Nyangove and Joseph Naluwe
Thursday, 26 November 2009

A 12 year-old girl who was allegedly raped three years-ago by her uncle has been admitted at the Windhoek Central Hospital Mental Health Centre suffering from depression.



The girl, whose father is dead, alleges that her uncle Elia Aula (40) a cleaner at Omaruru Primary School raped her in March 2006 and threatened her with witchcraft if she reported the incident to other family members or the police.

The girl said when she went to report the case the following day at Omaruru Police Station, she was allegedly told by the police to bring along her aunt whose husband had allegedly sexually abused her.

She alleges her aunt also threatened her that if she reports the case her husband would bewitch her and her entire family.

“My life has been a living hell since my grandmother died. I was moving from one house to another like a ball kicked from one direction to another,” the girl said in a letter to Informanté.

The girl said after the alleged rape, she was told by her aunt and husband to leave their home.

“I realise that life was not meant for me. I was always crying, sometimes blaming my mother and sometimes blaming myself. I used to ask myself why life was so unfair and asking God what crime I have committed to deserve all this.

“When that thing (the alleged rape) happened to me I was told by my aunt to leave the place and they took me to my (other) aunt’s house, even though they remind (sic) of the past, life has coming (sic) better,” she said.

The young girl says because of her problems she almost committed suicide by strangling herself with her school tie.

“I took out the tie and started crying. I realised that there is a bright future for me there ahead. I give myself this name Faith so I can always have faith in everything I do and never to give up,” she says.

Aula denied ever sexually abusing his niece however admitting that he fondled her breasts.

“I asked her whether we can sleep under the same blanket and she said no. I only fondled her breasts,” he said.

However, when contacted for comment her aunt said her husband only fondled the girl’s breasts but never raped her.

She said she believed her niece is cooking up the story.

According to a family member who talked to the Informanté on condition of anonymity, the raped minor has been suffering from depression and swollen legs since the alleged sexual abuse.

The family member said they had to take her to hospital to get professional help as her hair was also falling off and she was finding it difficult to relate to male relatives.

The girl, the relative said failed to complete her matriculation because of ill health.

An uncle to the girl Andrew Nambahu said he will not rest until his niece gets justice despite the fact that the police and Women and Child Support Network are allegedly not showing interest in assisting her.

“I have gone everywhere to get help for my niece but it is proving difficult to convince the police to take up the case as they are saying the victim has to be present when I report the case.”

No comments:

Post a Comment